Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Natural deodorants review: which one really works.


Why would anyone change over from a deodorant and antiperspirant to an all natural deodorant? It is a good question, and the reason why so many people are changing over to alternative deodorants is because of specific ingredients in regular antiperspirant deodorants that can cause toxicity to organs and has been named a key cause of breast cancer and Alzheimer disease (as well as other neurological diseases).  The ingredients I am referring to are aluminum that can come with a few different names, (Aluminum Chlorohydrate or Alumium Zirconium ) as well as Paraben (Propylparaben), which is used as a preservative in all sorts of products besides just antiperspirant deodorants.


When I did finally change over from toxic to non-toxic I had to find out the hard way that not all deodorants work especially the all natural ones, so I definitely had some searching to do. I ended up trying five alternative deodorants and only one really worked for me in the end, and is the one I will continue to use till I find one better. So after almost six months of being truly stinky even through the entire summer no less, here is my review of natural deodorants.


#1

  • The first one I tried was Jason Calming Lavender Pure Natural Deodorant Stick.



Price from link: $9.40 at time written

It is a great smelling deodorant but did not really stand up to an all day sweating, and stopped working after a few hours. The one thing I did not like about this one is that it leaves an odd waxy residue that feels weird on the skin, but did smell nice for a while until I actually started sweating after a few hours,  and then I just ended up smelling like lavender and BO combined in the end on this one. 



#2
  • The second one I tried I was really hoping would work, as I heard so much hype about this particular product and company called the Crystal Body Deodorant Stick.






Price from link: $5.15 at time written

I must say that this thing did not work at all as the instructions tell you to wet the crystal during application, and it just ended up smelling salty after application. It did not work and  again I ended up smelling like BO with a little saltiness on the side this time and did not work much sooner than expected. I would not recommend wasting money on this stick that does not seem to work in the slightest. 



#3
  • The third one I had tried was from the same company, because as I had said I had heard good things about this company so I figured I would try their Crystal Essence Mineral Deodorant Roll-On with Lavender & White Tea. 








Price from link: $10.19 at time written

The fact that this deodorant was a roll-on should have been an indication it wouldn't work (I hate roll-ons especially if I haven't shaved for a day or two and get hair or skin caught in the role part, which pinches the hell out of you and hurts a surprising amount).
It actually smells pretty decent, but being a salt mineral based deodorant just like the stick form it just did not work, concluding that there was a total combination of BO, lavender, and saltiness, which was pretty discouraging and disappointing at this point in my search. 


#4

  • This time I went with something completely different mainly because my friend got it for me at an herbal store so I thought I would check it out even though it was another dreaded roll-on product. It is an algae based deodorant from Home Health called Herbal Magic Roll-On Deodorant.











Price from link: $7.98 at time written

This deodorant stays wet on the skin for a while and seems to stay that way till you start to sweat anyway. Smells okay but doesn't get the job done. Also this one gave me a bit of a rash, but everyone is different though when trying these sorts of things.



#5       THE WINNER                                                                                              
  • Finally lucky #5 was the winner, well at least for now till I find a better one, which is from Queen Helene called Mint Julep Deodorant Stick.








Price from link: $5.63 at time written


This particular deodorant finally worked for me. It is copper complex based deodorant and had a low toxicity rating in the environmental working groups cosmetic database website. Smells kind of weird at first, but you get used to it because above all else, this deodorant actually worked for me and was the most decently priced.  



Conclusion

I hope after reading my deodorant products review you were able to get something out of it and that you are able to find a decently priced natural deodorant that actually works for you. If anyone has anymore suggestions on deodorants that actually work and are decently priced please put your experiences in the comments below. Information is key to knowing what is in the food and products we all use, and will help all of us to live and lead happier and healthier lives to share this knowledge with everyone. Links to ingredients in Queen Helene Deodorant are below, as well as toxic ingredient names to look out for on product labeling.  





Links to specific ingredient toxicity in Queen Helene Mint Julep deodorant stick:




Below are lists of the terms used on ingredient labeling for aluminum based compounds and parabens just in case you decide to go try out new deodorants yourself. 



Here are some of the many names Aluminum-based compound ingredients go under:

Aluminum chloride, 
aluminum chlorohydrate, 
aluminum-zirconium compounds, 
aluminum zirconium tetrachlorohydrex gly, 
and aluminum zirconium trichlorohydrex gly, are the most widely used in antiperspirants.


Here are some of the many names parabens go under:

4-Hydroy-propyl ester benzoic acid, 
4-Hydroxybenzoic acid Propyl ester, 
4-Hydroxybenzoic acid Propyl ester; sodium salt,
Benzioc Acid; 4-Hydroxy-Propyl Ester,
Benzoic Acid, 
Potassium Propylparben 
Potassium Salt Propylparaben
Propyl Ester 4-Hydroxybenzoic Acid 
Propyl 4-hydroxybenzoate 



Sources:

Antiperspirants: Aluminum & Alzheimer’s Disease

ALUMINUM & WHY IT’S HARMFUL IN YOUR DEODORANT

Environmental Working Group Cosmetic Database 
This site is also a great resource for checking products toxicity of stuff you already use with a 178,000 product database of cosmetic products.

No comments:

Post a Comment